Friday, December 10, 2010

The Weekend Report: Fantastic Voyages

We finally have some more new blood injected into the market this weekend. That is considering that you describe the third installment in a tedious fantasy franchise and an overly recycled action-thriller as "new". The top release to see this weekend is Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and if I go to see a film this weekend, it will be that film. I'm one of the few people who actually liked Prince Caspian more than The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, so seeing as that didn't get a lot of appreciation, I doubt that this film will. I'm still pretty sure that this will end up being the last film in the Narnia series.

The other film releasing this weekend is
The Tourist, starring Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. I actually had hopes that it would be as great as the director's last film, The Lives of Others. On the other hand, I haven't seen that film, and I probably won't see The Tourist either. I'd rather just watch Pan's Labyrinth and wonder why it didn't win Best Foreign Language Film in 2007. Ultimately, it's just another routine weekend, with only a few films that people will shell out money for, and then regret later. Next weekend has more chances to impress with TRON: Legacy, How Do You Know, the wide expansion of The Fighter, and... unfortunately, Yogi Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment