Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday-Sunday: Prep and Landing

Well it's the holiday season, and I'm spending a lot of my time attempting to be merry with these joyful little indulgences. I'm not sure if you're allowed to call something that's been going on for only a year a time honored tradition, but I enjoy sitting down on my own every year and watching last year's holiday special from Disney, Prep and Landing. This came at the height of the Michael Giacchino era of my life, so him scoring this one was really the reason I decided to tune in at all. I don't regret it, because even though Giacchino's score was what made it most for me, it was still a heartwarming special.

The 22-minute story combines the thrilling action-spy genre with the cute Christmas specials of yesteryear. The focus is on Wayne and Lanny, two elf members of a special operations task force known as Prep and Landing, the mission of which is to prepare houses on Christmas Eve for Santa's visit. It's simply an odd couple sort of story, which most of the greatest animated features are, and though it's rather rushed, it manages to pack an emotional punch in the time that it has. It also has a hilarious underhanded sexual reference thrown in there. Young viewers will think of it in a more innocent way, but we have our imaginations at our disposal. It's absolutely lovable and enjoyable from start to finish. The reindeer steal the show whenever they're onscreen. It's a worthy addition to the holiday special canon, and it will stay around for a long time. Although, I can't help but wish for more McGee.

Prep and Landing will be playing on ABC Family on December 15th and 20th at 8:00 and 7:30 p.m. respectively, and it will also be on ABC on Christmas Eve at 8:00 p.m. However, if you want to see it now, it's available on Hulu, along with a brand new short with the guest voice of Betty White. Check it out, and let me know what you think!


1 comment:

  1. Haha i didn't know that movie, but i want to see it! thanks

    ReplyDelete