Friday, October 8, 2010

The Weekend Report: Running on Empty

The Oscar race is reshaping itself every day, and it's becoming a little more than maddening for some of us. The good news is, we don't have to worry about Secretariat coming in for a surprise Best Picture nomination, because it won't. Reviews for the film have sided with my non-viewer opinion of the film. I'm sure the film is in no way bad, but I highly doubt it's worth catching the theaters. Family audiences will surely enjoy this enough, but I'm not willing to shell out $10 to see it. It sounds like a really negative take on the best film being released this weekend, but I'm sure the film will get a few admirers.

As for the other films out this weekend, I really don't know what to say beyond skip them, but I'll do my best. Life as We Know It has long been on my hate list, because it takes a certain amount of charm to pull off a story like this, and the two leads simply don't have it. Whenever I end up sitting through the trailer, the baby strikes me as the best actress in this film, and she's probably not even acting. At that age, they don't know how to. The filmmakers probably did something cruel and mean to make her cry, and I cannot feasibly watch this movie without thinking about that. If I ever pass Katherine Heigl on the street, I will go out of my way to punch her in the face. I'll feel better about myself.

Finally, descending even lower to the point in which I really want to put a bullet in the brainpan (squish), we have Wes Craven's new horror film, My Soul To Take. We all owe Wes Craven for giving us some of the most iconic horror films, even if they lead to predictable franchises. This time around, I think that the so called "Master of Horror" is out of ideas. This looks just like the teen slasher piece of crap we all thought it would be from the trailer. The fact that it's in 3D means absolutely nothing. Your best choice this weekend, if you're going to make a choice at all, is to see The Social Network again. Or, if you're feeling a little more generous, you could go see the underrated Let Me In.

No comments:

Post a Comment