Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Oscar 2010: Is "127 Hours" Really Oscar Worthy?


A month ago, one of the biggest things to come out of Telluride was Danny Boyle's 127 Hours, but I couldn't help but notice that things weren't exactly pitch perfect. It always felt like the adoration was a little reluctant. Still, within the first few days after the film's premiere, people were quick to say that it was a front-runner. Back then, it was a strict race between this and The King's Speech. Then The Social Network turned out to be even more spectacular than the trailer, and it took 127 Hours' place easily. That really prompted me to question the film's actual chances, and here we are.

James Franco is still in the race for Best Actor, since he practically carries the entire film on his shoulders. He'll definitely earn a nomination, but will in all likelihood lose to Colin Firth, as most will. Cinematography may still be a strong suit for the film, but I'm just uncertain of the style of the footage I've seen. The film will probably rely on replay value, and I'm just not sure people will want to go back to it. I know it sounds crazy to be questioning the Oscar gods at this point, but I've taken 127 Hours off my predictions for Best Picture. Once you've gotten past the initial shock, I'd suggest taking a look at this, this, and this.

1 comment:

  1. Meh, even if its not as good as early buzz indicated, it will probably get in what with 10 nominations and all of that buzz.

    ReplyDelete