Sunday, October 17, 2010

An Old Day in the New Town

I had a rather nice time at the local theaters yesterday, and it really got me thinking about an old idea that has been discarded with time. It makes sense, seeing as television, DVD, and bluray make a trip to the theaters almost obsolete, which is something I hope never takes complete hold over our society. There is absolutely nothing like the theatrical experience of watching a film, and the best theaters are designed to enhance that. They have a certain feeling of occasion that is frankly missing from the living room setting. Catching a film at home will never be as captivating or as satisfactory.

Getting back on topic to what yesterday got me wondering the most, why aren't television shows featured in theaters anymore? Yesterday morning, I walked over to the independent theater which was granting free entry to see Looney Tunes vignettes on the big screen, and it was actually rather fun. It was old style entertainment seen in an old fashioned way. Then, much later on, since Red remains temporarily out of my grasp, I took a stroll down to the more mainstream theater to see Jackass 3D. It would be too much of a gift to call what I saw a film. It's no more a film than two hours of Jersey Shore is.

That's not to say that it wasn't enjoyable throughout. As a matter of fact, it's got much more entertainment than most theatrical releases of its length this year. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody who doesn't cringe during this movie. There are many gag-worthy stunts they pulled, and I'm pretty sure that one person in the theater I was in threw up before the end of it. No, it certainly wasn't me. The 3D actually served some of their stunts better than it served such action films as The Last Airbender and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. It never felt like a film, but it the cinematic experience does enhance their television style antics.

It all made me wish that some of the common television shows of today got that screen treatment, without being made into feature films. I'm sure there are people who've wondered how fantastic the Lost finale would've been if shot in digital 3D and shown on the big screen. Or to see any of the episodes of this season of Fringe in that format. I'd definitely shell out a few dollars to see that. I'm not saying every show should do that. Who would actually go out to the theaters to see Glee or Grey's Anatomy on an 100 foot tall screen? If were going to talk insanity, lets tune it down to a realistic stand point. What shows would you like to see on the big screen? Comment below on your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment