Thursday, June 10, 2010

5 Best Scenes of Glee: Season 1

With the Glee season finale, we have finally reached the end of the television season. So now seems like a good time to look back at the best moments of the first season of Glee.

5. The Football team dancing to Single Ladies (Preggers)
There are several comedic moments on Glee that simply never got old, but none more applies than when Kurt and Finn team up to get the football team to dance to Single Ladies. It was clear out of the blue, hillariously off kilter, and it actually worked. Sorry Taylor Swift, but Kanye West was right about it being "one of the best music videos of all time."

4. Will discovers Terri is faking her pregnancy (Mattress)
Even though there were several heated emotional confrontations that kept us gripped at the end of our seats, and I did love that face off between Burt Hummell and Finn in Theatricality, but the truly deserving champion is Will's discovery of Terri's ultimate deception. We didn't know when it would happen, but when it did, we knew that some serious s#*% was about to go down. The fight that ends a marriage is always the worst, and this was that magnified by eight. Will's unbridled rage, and Terri's constant begging make this the emotional cornerstone that pushed us into the mid-season finale.

3. Bohemian Rhapsody interspersed through Quinn's labor (Journey)
Is it a risk of dragging when you decide to play the entirety of one of the most epic scale songs ever made? Yes, but thanks to brilliant production values and choreography by Vocal Adrenaline, that portion of the scene worked. It's a hard truth to swallow, but they did deserve that win. What truly made it was the pairing with Quinn giving birth to her child. Sure it was sometimes comedic, but it had to be. This is a comedy after all. Ultimately it perfectly put through the extremely emotional scene we'd been waiting for.

2. Any time Sue Sylvester is on screen
Of all the characters on the show, Sue Sylvester has had the most impact on the current culture. During most of the season, I had a friend who completely and entirely hated her. The question most are asking right now is, why am I still friends with him? That's why I said "most of the season." There are literally a dozen single quotes deserving of this spot. So for my list within a list I present the top 12 lines from Sue Sylvester:

- You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded. That's hard!
- Let me be the one to break the silence. That was the most offensive thing I've seen in twenty years of teaching. And that includes an elementary school production of Hair.
- All I want is just one day a year where I'm not visually assaulted by uglies and fatties. Seriously, Ohio, these retinas need a day off.
- "Who do you think I am?" Sue: That's a very good question, because I've actually forgotten both of your names.
- I am confident that you will be adding revenge to the long list of things that you are no good at. Right next to being married, running a high school glee club, and finding a haircut that doesn't make you look like a lesbian.
- I don't trust a man with curly hair. I can't help picturing small birds laying sulfurous eggs in there, and I find it disgusting.
- I’m having a really difficult time hearing anything you have to say today because your hair looks like a briar patch. I keep expecting racist animated Disney characters to pop up and start singing songs about living on the bayou!
- From Fort Wayne, Indiana, the not-at-all stupidly named, Oral Intensity!
- Santana. Wheels. Gay kid. Come on! Move it! Asian. Other Asian.
- Yeah, you know what? I checked out of this conversation a while back, so good luck with your troubles, and I'm gonna make it a habit not to stop and talk to students, because this has been a colossal waste of my time.
- You think this is hard? Try trying out for Baywatch, only to be told they're going in a different direction. That was hard.
- I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then on some dark cold night, I’ll steal away into your home and punch you in the face.

1. My Life Would Suck Without You (Sectionals)
Of all the great songs featured in Journey, none could top the song that ended the first season 1 finale. Mixing the crushing idea that Jayma Mays may be leaving the show entirely, with Shuester's joy at finding the team has won Sectionals, dance moves from every previous episode, and just great music overall, the final moments of the episode were some of the show's best. Then when Will busts out into the hallway to kiss Emma, it was just everything we wanted from the episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment