Friday, June 11, 2010

Weekend Update: 2nd Week of June

Last week was a positive change from the usual week of unqualified films that has been the standard for this year. Said week returns this weekend with the release of two 80's remakes. The one with the most box office chances is The Karate Kid, starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan. First of all, it's not The Karate Kid. It's The Kung Fu Kid. If that isn't enough to persuade you of how stupid the film is, take into account the fact that it's 2 and 1/2 hours long. That isn't too promising for returns in the following weeks, especially not up against Toy Story 3. Expect Karate Kid to get around $40 million this weekend.

If I were to see a film this weekend (which I won't, but if I did), it would be The A-Team. I can ignore the fact that it looks like every action film out today and most likely is for one reason: the cast. This is a different role for Liam Neeson, and when the DVD release comes around, I'd love to see what he does with it. I don't care for the black guy because I don't know the black guy. Brandon Cooper is a likable guy, so I'll give him a shot. However, the person to see in this film is definitely Sharlto Copley. From the clips I've seen from the film, he looks to be perfectly in his element of crazy lunatic charm. I can see The A-Team coming in just under Karate Kid's $40 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment