Sunday, June 20, 2010

Toy Story 3: The last great Pixar film?

I promise that this will be the last huge rave I have of Toy Story 3 for a long time. This is less of a rave of the new film as it is an output of my fears going into the next few years. I know that I've been preaching for a while that Pixar never screws up, and their latest film effectively proves that, but I've become extremely worried looking at the upcoming slate of films from the masterpiece company. I think my fears about Cars 2 are more than justified. The film is supposed to focus on a race spanning five countries while Mater becomes embroiled in a case of international espionage.How do they fit a heart into that story, and how do we get it from the voices of Owen Wilson and Daniel Whitney (Larry the Cable Guy)? Add on to that the death of Paul Newman and George Carlin, two of the stars of the first film, and we lose one of the more heart infused characters of the film and one of the truly comedic characters. We'll know it's destined for something far below greatness if the runtime is as long as the first film.
Then, in two years they have Brave (formerly titled The Bear and the Bow), which is Pixar's first fairy tale. The film focuses on the daughter of Scottish royalty who dreams of being an archer who causes unintended peril upon her father's kingdom as a result of an ancient evil curse. Once again, my worries are more than warranted. The film is from the director of Prince of Egypt (That's right. A Dreamworks film.), Brenda Chapman, who writes and directs the film. Somebody give me a reason not to panic.
Then, later that same year (2 Pixar films in the same year! Overkill?), Monsters Inc. 2 comes out. When I first heard that they had greenlit the film for release I was extatic. One of my favorite old Pixar films was Monsters Inc., and after seeing the great job Pixar has done with the Toy Story sequels, I was sure that they could pull it off. However, I still feel trepidation that the film is not being directed by Pete Doctor (Up), who directed the first film. I guess that Pixar is trying to embellish their newer voices as their past directors go into live-action (Andrew Stanton with John Carter of Mars, and Brad Bird with Mission Impossible 4).

I guess that sense of uncertainty has always clouded the fate of most Pixar films. Maybe it's because they never show us the true heart of the film in the trailers. Up didn't reveal the fact that one of the main characters dies in the first ten minutes. Toy Story 3 left out a few crucial details that I won't go into detail about until I'm sure everybody's seen it. Maybe there's a surprisingly heartfelt signiature behind these films. Pixar somehow finds a way with surprising us with how good their films are, even though that's the way they've done it for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment