Monday, June 28, 2010

PotterWatch (10 of 77): Teaser Trailer for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"!

Well, the teaser trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that we've all been waiting for is finally here, and how was it? For me, it was a mixed basket. What didn't I like? First of all, I'm not happy that this teaser showed footage from both installments. Make no mistake, because this is a teaser. It's a rather long teaser, but it doesn't really give too much of an idea of the plot for those who haven't read the books. I also didn't like the floating titles that kept popping up. While it's true that it is the finale of a worldwide phenomenon, and it is the motion picture event of a generation, there's a point in which it's no longer simply stating facts, and it's just ego going for all that ego can go.

I also have my recently adopted minor reservations against Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort. He seems to be pushing the limits a bit too far in this trailer. Every time I saw him on screen, or heard him speak, I had alternating feelings of laughing at him and crying at what this might mean for the quality of the film. Another little bit I wasn't a fan of was some of the straight forward shots that evoke kids films. The team paired up with a goblin riding some sort of device is one of the first action shots we're treated to. While I know what part of the film it is, from a trailers point of view, it just feels out of place. It may be evoking the whimsy the series started out with, but that worries me.

I know it's a lot of nitpicking, but other than that, I completely loved this trailer. It packs in a whole lot of footage from both installments, and the visuals are very textured. This film could very well win a great amount of technical awards for art direction, cinematography, visual effects, and maybe more. There's an epic quality to it all that's been missing from many Harry Potter films. There are so many things to talk about, most of all the creatures. We see thestrals, dragons, snakes, and so much more action in this trailer. I was really biting my nails at some points in this trailer. Then I realized that I really need to cut my nails.

Finally, for perhaps the first time in my life, I love Daniel Radcliffe as Harry. Much of the time I just see his face, but it doesn't look as wooden as it usually does. It looks like a character I can get behind. And then when he talks face to face with Voldemort, he sounds so much more adult. Even with his face muffled by Voldemorts gripping hand, he completely sells that line. I feel like these films may be the best of the series. I don't expect them to disappoint, but I fear people may get that idea from this trailer. I hope not. It's a far cry from some of the other amazing Potter trailers, but it's a great start. I'm still eagerly awaiting this film, so please comment on your thoughts from the trailer embedded below.


No comments:

Post a Comment