Monday, June 21, 2010

Oscar 2011: Where are we now?

Shortly after this year's Academy Awards ended, I posted my year-in-advance predictions for the top race. We still haven't gotten the chance to see most of those pictures, but as you may have noticed, my predictions have changed quite a bit. Lets take a look at what happened, and where to go from here.

Those that fell out: Iron Man 2- My fears about this film may not have been warranted when I first expressed them, but time has proven them wise. While actually taking time to analyze the film, I discovered that the sequel not only was worst than the first, but actually degraded the original. Everything we felt was wonderful in the first film was exposed to be nothing but cold flames. Bright, flashy, loud, chaotic, and enveloping everything in their path. This film may have no Oscar potential. Visual Effects just fell short entirely, and may not even get a mention at the end of the year.
Blue Valentine- I know we should believe that this film is a force to be reckoned with after it got such huge buzz from Sundance, but there comes a time when somebody has to look a little closer at the reviews. With the Oscars, we are looking for the best, and the reviews for Blue Valentine, while good, have not been of outstanding quality. Michelle Williams' performance has gotten the most raves out of the reviews, so we'll likely see an acting nomination for her, but I think this film will miss out on Best Picture.
The American- I'm calling this one guys. For the time being, I don't think this film has what it takes. I'm sure the director has skill, and we all know of George Clooney's acting talent, but I'll let the quotes from the trailers do the talking: "You're a good man, but you have a secret." "A man can be reached if he has God in his heart." "I don't think God's very interested in me father." I may be wrong, but at least until its release, I'm putting The American on the bench.

Locked in: Toy Story 3
Safe for Now: Everything You've Got (formerly How Do You Know)
The Social Network
Hereafter
True Grit
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Awaiting Review: Inception
New to the Board: Tree of Life
Another Year
Black Swan

No comments:

Post a Comment