Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

I've already spent the greater part of this weekend watching violent, but not quite frightening horror films, most of which I enjoyed quite a lot. I say "most" because I honestly wasn't drawn into Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead. The man has really started to grind on me, and I never thought I'd say that my favorite film of his is Watchmen. Due to my negative experience, you shouldn't expect another post this month after this one. Now, since most of the online community is putting in their opinion of their favorite Halloween/Horror film, I've decided to take a somewhat different route, if for no other reason than that I have no favorite film of the genre.

Instead, this holiday, or at least the way it is perceived today, always has me thinking the most of last year's polarizing classic-in-the-waiting Where the Wild Things Are. I understand that there's a great deal of people who dislike this film, which is why I included the word "polarizing". Oddly enough, whenever critics use that word as a description for a film, I usually love it. As for the film itself, it obviously has an instant connection to this holiday with the subject of a child in a costume pretending to be a monster, but it's a lot more than that. It has the melancholy nature of childhood attached to almost every frame of the film. Spike Jonze embellished nearly every little thought that comes into the young mind of a child, and in many ways, Halloween is a children's holiday. It may not be the obvious pick for something to watch on this day, but it's certainly suitable for it. If nothing else, it will end your weekend on a somewhat lighter note.

No comments:

Post a Comment