Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" to Open Cannes

I thought there was something to sudden questioning of what film was going to open Cannes Film Festival this year. Over the past few years, it has generally gone to a commercial release, the best case scenario being Up, and the worst case so far being Robin Hood. I half expected this year's film to be The Hangover: Part II, but it looks like they're going in the opposite direction and premiering Woody Allen's latest film, Midnight in Paris, as the kickoff event. Allen has been a lot more miss than hit lately, with his last two films failing to impress in the way Vicky Christina Barcelona did. He averages a film each year, and I certainly hope that Midnight in Paris turns out to be a real winner. I have my doubts, but also my hopes. He's working with Marion Cotillard, so I expect some sort of quality, even if it's only minimal, which it probably will be seeing as he also has Owen Wilson. From here on out, I'm tallying Wilson as an omen of death.

No comments:

Post a Comment