Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Oscar 2010 Predictions: Makeup

I'm not going to deny that Alice in Wonderland's absence from the makeup nominations didn't shock me a bit. I'm not going to say that I appreciated it on an artistic level, but with all the buzz that's been going for it in the precursors, I totally expected it to make an appearance here. I'm not upset that the film now stands little to no chances of winning anything on Oscar night, but it complicates the race a bit. It makes me wonder exactly what film will win, based on the Academy state of mind. What would seem like the initial winner, and is indeed what most people are pegging for the win, is The Wolfman, but I'm not so sure.

The lack of
Alice in Wonderland in this category clearly shows the Academy's adherence to quality, and not obvious appeal. The only makeup job that comes to mind in terms of The Wolfman is the titular creature, and I don't think I'm alone when I talk about how cheesy and stupid it looks. I wouldn't vote for that, and certainly not against some of the other clear choices. The Way Back has its only nomination here, so the Academy may indeed point their attention there, giving the overlooked treasure some recognition. The film I'd like to see win, and is fully deserving of it, is Barney's Version. It surprised us with its inclusion on the shortlist, and later when it actually made it into the nominations. I think that it could go all the way to the win. It's the film I'm predicting to win, because I want the bragging rights. I'm predicting a surprising Oscar night, which may or may not happen.

1. Barney's Version
2. The Way Back
3. The Wolfman

Will/Should Win: Barney's Version
Potential Upset: The Wolfman
Should Have Been Nominated: True Grit

No comments:

Post a Comment