Friday, March 25, 2011

The Weekend Report: Success Is A Fantasy

As has happened almost every weekend this year, we can't really expect anything monumental or spectacular, no matter how large a budget a film releasing has. I did have a small spark of hope lit for Sucker Punch, because how can you not for a film set in the unstable dream world of a young girl in a mental asylum. Besides that, there's also the flash, flair, and overwhelming noise that made the trailer an unwilling assault on the senses. The latter of those appeals to the dumb grunt male audience this film is targeting, and the former is a cinephile's vain hope for something greater than indicated. The former isn't a factor in Sucker Punch, and I can't say I hold out much hope to see the film this weekend. If it makes as little sense as reviews are contesting, I can't see a reason to shell out $10 for it.

The only other option this weekend is Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules, and we know what the target demographic of that picture is. As such, we can expect it to do moderately well for itself this weekend, giving Zack Snyder's mindless action fest a run for its money. I'd like to think that maybe one of these films will break the mold and come out of the weekend with a figure north of $50 million. I think we'll just have to wait until May for that sort of nonsense. Success is a fantasy right now, and we are waiting for that to change. So what do I suggest you do with your Friday nights? I think I've made that abundantly clear by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment