Friday, March 11, 2011

The Weekend Report: The Red Heat of Battle

If you're out eagerly looking for quality cinema entertainment, this weekend isn't for you. We're just not at that point yet where we can expect good films to come out, but I wouldn't say this is going to be a truly miserable weekend. The box office is in a position to thrive with plenty of opportunities to ensnare gullible moviegoers. I'm mostly talking about Battle: Los Angeles, which reads as a film that will eventually be shown constantly on FX. It has that same Michael Bay action sensibility, and Bay has been illogically huge in the box office in the past. I expect this film to do very well for itself.

Red Riding Hood, though it's received abysmal reviews, should also receive a certain following this weekend. It's obviously intended for the same fan base as Twilight, but I imagine that even they will come out of this film marginally disappointed. I don't suggest seeing it, but I'll end up seeing it sometime this weekend, so might as well suffer with me. The only thing I wouldn't suggest is seeing Mars Needs Moms, because that's a film that's looked unbearably stale from the beginning. It doesn't look entertaining in the slightest, and in fact looks like a difficult film to sit through. If you're looking for anything more than guilty entertainment, you'll be disappointed this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment