Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Open Thread: Deafened by Doldrums

I cannot say that 2011 is completely devoid of quality, because that's just not true. There is quality out there, but it's just not being shown to the general public. About a month ago, a little film called Cedar Rapids came out to favorable reviews, and I was eager in anticipation for it to expand from its initial limited release. That hasn't happened yet, and I expect it will probably head to DVD before it does. It's such a shame, because this seems like the perfect time to expand to a wider audience. We've gone through two solid months of settling for mediocre quality features, Justin Bieber, and a legitimately entertaining Ashton Kutcher film. No Strings Attached has no right to be legitimately entertaining, and it wouldn't be if we had a greater film to hold in stark contrast.

We have a similar predicament this weekend, with
Red Riding Hood, Mars Needs Moms, and Battle: Los Angeles holding massive box office prospects, but minuscule critical value. It's almost as if Jane Eyre isn't even heading to theaters, which in the grand scheme of things, it isn't. It's only opening in four theaters this weekend, and though it should be a hit with audiences who happen to live in the right area, I doubt it'll go on to a wide release. The only film heading to wide release anytime soon that I know will be great is Paul, but of course it pales in comparisoj to the limited release of that week, which happens to be my most anticipated film of this month, Win Win.

What's the use of releasing quality films in this time of the year if nobody sees them? I know it seems like I'm going on a pointlessly aggressive rant, which I am, but I can't be the only one complaining about the lack of quality. It's depressing how so many people in the business have no idea how to make thought provoking cinematic entertainment. I understand how it happens, because if you've been to any college film production class, you've had to sit through some films that came off as formulaic, stilted, poorly made, or just plain stupid. Somehow that's enough to earn a passing grade, and eventually easy acceptance to the industry. This isn't so much about making a request, as it is about defining the general state of mind at this moment. Please comment below on your own thoughts on this topic, be it in agreement or disagreement. Just let loose on what you've thought of the films to be released thus far this year.

1 comment:

  1. I have faith that eventually Cedar Rapids will expand, same for Jane Eyre, God I'm hopelessly optimistic.

    So far though I'm not really so pleased either. Didn't this time last year we have Shutter Island? The Ghost Writer? (I was not a fan of that film, but wow did it expand fast)

    Maybe I'm not that depressed because I'm looking forward to what the rest of the year has to offer (even Battle LA).

    I would think though that Cedar Rapids would be expanded. I mean its per theater average is passable. maybe it will get better.

    ReplyDelete