Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Oscar 2010: Does "The Town" Stand A Chance?


Over this weekend, as The Town quietly achieved critical and box office acclaim, it appears that somewhere out of that emerged a flicker of Oscar hope. After seeing the film, I felt that it was spectacular and better than most of the films out there this year, but it didn't stand a chance against the other films up for Oscar glory. However, it seems people have really responded to it in a positive way, most especially at an Academy screening. I know that the Academy is a pretty big part in deciding who is nominated, but I'm very careful about what I hear coming from these screenings.

I think that when it comes down to it, it's going to be a fight between The Town and Inception, because the two have some prevalent similarities, besides the fact that they're both heist films. If I were to ask a reader stumbling upon this blog which had a more likely chance of winning, they'd say Inception, not only because it's more of a crowd-pleaser, but because it's just a better film. I'm sorry to stamp out all hope of The Town being nominated, but it's just not that kind of film. It's one of my favorites of the year, but so is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Is it going up on my predictions? No. If this film has any chances, it's in Jeremy Renner for Supporting Actor, and that's where Warner Bros. should put most of it's cards for this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment