Friday, September 24, 2010

The Weekend Report: The Owls, The Gekko, and Betty White

We've got three new releases this weekend, but they don't matter that much to me. Tomorrow I'll be taking a look at two of the top films from recent festivals: The King's Speech and Never Let Me Go. I'll get to talk about more on those two once I've actually seen them, but for now lets talk about the three core releases. The film that I've felt the most irrational attraction to is surprisingly Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Gahoole. Originally I had no intention of seeing it, but I've heard some good things about the visuals potentially rivaling Avatar, another film with a visually stunning life that I didn't favor. Then again, I saw that film, so I guess I could give this one a shot at matinee price.

The other big release this weekend is Oliver Stone's Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. I didn't see the original Wall Street, so immediately there's that in the way. On top of that, this film stars Shia Labeouf whose one-note acting style I don't enjoy. This film does benefit from Carey Mulligan playing a part, but it's a strictly supporting role so I don't put the odds on me seeing this film. The film that I wanted to see at first was You Again, and the trailer honestly looked funny to me. However, reviews have been completely slamming this film against the wall as they do for nearly every poor comedy these days. It's sad to say that I may have misplaced my trust. So the score for this weekend is either 1/3 or 0/3. Doesn't matter much to me, because I'm playing the film slate outside the regular market. At least I hope I am. I may just end up getting to Portsmouth to hear them tell me they have no record of my tickets. Really hoping that that doesn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment