Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Potter Watch (20 of 77): Staring Into the Dark


In a way, this is a preemptive Potter Watch, because there's not much to report on until the new trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 debuts tonight at 9. Expect an embed of the trailer to be on our Facebook page by 9:05, and an entire post by 9:30. I would like to comment a bit on how people are feeling that the Potter films keep getting darker. It's true, but there are certainly people out there who are rooting for an R-rated Deathly Hallows. It's not going to happen, because the series still wants to keep the demographic they started with involved.

However, there is no denying that these last two installments are incredibly gruesome. We have the deaths of several key characters, the whole ordeal at Bathilda Bagshot's home, George losing an ear, and we know that this is going to be a very dark experience. Not to mention the inner turmoil that consumes the trio in Part 1 of the film. Test screening reviews have made a lot of this film, saying that they perfectly rendered each scene for this film, which is a relief for me, who enjoys the occasionally slow, but perfectly delivered Half-Blood Prince the most of the series.

Luckily, for those worried that this would feel like something of a short film, the producers have made good on their promise of an in depth Deathly Hallows, giving the film a nearly 2.5 hour run time. I can't wait to see this one, and I'm still holding it up as one of my Best Picture prediction. People can criticize me all they want, but if it turns out that I'm right, then that won't last long. I tell you, it has more of a chance than Secretariat does. I'll see you back here tonight for the new trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment