Thursday, September 16, 2010

Joaquin Phoenix, You Cheeky Basterd!


Remember long ago when Joaquin Phoenix announced he was retiring from acting to go into a career as a hip-hop artist? Well, now that Casey Affleck's "documentary" of the events since then, I'm Still Here, is out there, it's time to set the record straight. This wasn't the biggest mistake of his life, but one of the most elaborate performances of his career. It seems it was staged from the very beginning as the most extreme acting move he's ever been through. When I heard about the news from the New York Times interview published recently, it suddenly all made sense.

I haven't even seen the film yet, and now it has sky-rocketed into a film I must see when it becomes available. This is also a sigh of relief that he's not quitting acting, which makes me feel so much better, because I love most of his films. I say most because of his other ill-advised stint in an M. Night Shyamalan production. Ultimately, I'm not sure if I want to thank Joaquin for this, or punch him in the face for putting us through that ordeal. Looking back though, it's kind of obvious that it was a set-up. This is what happens when a magician shows his hand. Below is just a bit of his "performance" during last year's interview with David Letterman. Comment below and let me know what you think of this revelation!

No comments:

Post a Comment