Friday, September 17, 2010

The Weekend Report: Ben and Emma vs. The World

I've never sugarcoated the fact that this summer film season was more or less a failure. We had about three or four films that were truly inspired works, but everything else was just pollution. However, this weekend we have two genuinely good, if not great films being released, which is very rare nowadays. Ben Affleck's The Town doesn't look to have high Oscar hopes, but it doesn't need to as it looks well made all around. It features some of my favorite under-appreciated actors in film and television, and it's the second outing of director Ben Affleck. I'm still not a huge fan of his acting, but he may surprise me this time around.

Alternating between the good and the bad this weekend, Devil comes out this weekend, and I doubt this film will do very well this weekend. Whenever a film's trailer is best known for inspiring audience disrespect, it's pretty clear that people don't want it. It may just be the name of M. Night Shyamalan behind it, but once his name showed up, people suddenly realized how stupid the footage they were seeing was. And even if people want to see it, the film's target audience will be too busy with the other films this weekend.

I can't help but wonder why I wasn't looking forward to Easy A in the first place, but it doesn't really matter to me. If it matters to you, comb through the archives of the site over the past four months for a conclusion and then comment below. Or you could just comment below on what you think of my opinions, as I'd like people to do whenever they show up at the site. Whatever the case, Easy A looks like a genuinely funny high school comedy, which you don't necessarily see a lot of these days. It's definitely worth checking out, if only for Stanley Tucci who has become one of the quiet talents of modern cinema.

My Verdict: Devil looks to be another failure from M. Night Shyamalan, and Alpha and Omega just looks like a cheap attempt to take advantage of the 3D ticket prices for more money. If you're going to see a film this weekend, I'd suggest seeing The Town or Easy A. Or you could see both and have one of those weird double features of two films that don't really match (Ex. Camp Rock and Saw IV)

No comments:

Post a Comment