Sunday, September 19, 2010

Box Office Update: "The Town" Steals Top Spot; "Easy A" Passes!

10. Eat Pray Love (Sixth Weekend; $1.7 million): On my way to see Easy A yesterday, me and my friends were shocked to see this film was still playing. I trust this will be the last week this film tastes the top ten.

9. The Other Guys (Seventh Weekend; $2 million): Will Ferrell and Marky Mark continue to inexplicably make a living with this film. It's success is quite simply an abomination, but one that I'll live with.

8. Inception (Tenth Weekend; $2.1 million): Ten weeks into it's run, and this film still won't go down. I'd say it has a chance of climbing to $300 million, but I seriously doubt that will happen. However, I'm going to take a guess that when we're back here next weekend, Inception will be able to hold onto the top ten for one more week.

7. The American (Third Weekend; $2.7 million): George Clooney's drama continues to take a dive, and at this point I don't think I'll end up seeing it at all. Currently at $32 million, expect just a little more before it checks out.

6. Takers (Fourth Weekend; $3 million): What more can I say about this movie? It's made a profit, so lets leave it at that.

5. Alpha and Omega (First Weekend; $9.2 million): Just when you thought 3D couldn't descend any lower, this Lionsgate train-wreck comes in to prove us wrong.

4. Resident Evil: Afterlife (Second Weekend; $10.1 million): This film did suffer from another 3D film swooping in and taking away a share of it's theatres, but I blame the 61% drop on the fact that the film just wasn't worth it.

3. Devil (First Weekend; $12.5 million): You can try to defend this film all you want. I still have no interest in seeing anything even remotely related to M. Night Shyamalan anymore. Still, the horror film made a decent earning in a small tangent of film-goers.

2. Easy A (First Weekend; $18.2 million): Emma Stone's comedy made second place this weekend, as predicted, but I foresee this film to do better in the coming weeks through positive word-of-mouth.

1. The Town (First Weekend; $23.8 million): In just one weekend, Ben Affleck's new film made more than Gone Baby Gone made in it's entire run. You may chalk that up to it's more action-oriented premise, but I feel this film was more accessible to audiences, and it'll probably be the film Affleck gets a greater reputation for.

No comments:

Post a Comment