Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Trailer Tuesday: The American, Secretariat, Jonah Hex

This week was a pretty average week for trailers until about an hour ago when the teaser trailer for The American debuted online. I was a little on the fence with this project, because I'm not really familiar with Anton Corbijn's work as a director. Originally the only draw for the film was George Clooney in the starring role, but this trailer has me completely sold on it. There's not only solid performances from Clooney, but everyone in this trailer emanates an aura of quality.

I usually roll my eyes at even the idea of an assassin changing his life through befriending a priest, but Paulo Bonacelli looks like the kind of undiscovered talent you can trust with such a dangerously stereotyped role. The production credits look stunning all across the board, and I can see The American being considered for a number of awards once Oscar season roles near, most especially Best Picture, Best Actor, and Supp. Actor. You'll a few nice changes in my predictions by the time this post is up. Follow this for the trailer.
The next film wants to be considered for Oscars, but I seriously doubt it will. Secretariat, starring Diana Lane, is your typical, run-of-the-mill horse success story like Seabiscuit, and we all know how that film did on the big night. Or rather we don't know, or care because it wasn't significant, and this film seems even less significant. Against such films like The American, and Inception, I can't see this film placing the top ten. I'm not saying it'll be bad, but it'll probably around average, if not slightly below. Watch the trailer here.

The final trailer has absolutely no chance of Oscar consideration. The trailer for Jonah Hex really gave me something of a Ghost Rider vibe, and that can be regarded as the worst Marvel movie ever. I think we can expect a similar fate for the Josh Brolin film. While I always think the guy does a great job, he's not that great at deciding scripts, and even he thought the script for the film was crap when he read it. Don't expect me to see this anytime this summer. Follow the link to the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment