Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Celluloid's Cannes Coverage: Day 5-6

Blue Valentine- I already combed over Tamara Drewe, so this day's film may very well be the last on my radar. It depends on if something substantial comes in the next few days. This film was a hit at Sundance, and it's follow-up at Cannes is a little bit of a mixed bag. It's still got wide praise, but now people aren't as kind to the film's pitfalls. As says the Guy of the year, Guy Lodge of In Contention, "Through Jim Helton and Ron Patane’s smart, elliptical editing scheme, such gentle moments like this are deftly scattered through the heartbreak as we zigzag across the marriage; we know how it ends, but like the characters trapped within, this deeply moving film keeps taunting us with reasons to be hopeful."

I could go on about this film, and how much I despise that it won't be releasing until December, but ultimately nothing new's been said about the film, so this may be it for my Cannes Coverage. Unless something else hits it big, which if it does I will report it, I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment