Sunday, May 30, 2010

Guillermo Del Toro has left The Hobbit!

It is with great regret that I must inform you all that Guillermo Del Toro has opted to leave The Hobbit, after devoting nearly two years of his life to pre-production of the film. This is without a doubt one of the most disappointing turn of events in a long time. I know that Del Toro, who has excelled at directing fantasy films like Pans Labyrinth and Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, would've have turned in an Oscar worthy production had it been greenlighted. Unfortunately MGM had too many problems on their hands to give the film the go ahead.

It's also sad because if Guillermo hadn't taken up The Hobbit in the first place, he may have settled in to direct the last two Harry Potter films. I'm sure David Yates will deliver on the finale, but I can't help thinking Del Toro would've been able to truly knock it out of the park. Anyways, this sets production of The Hobbit in serious doubt, without a director to shepherd the project. If my word counts for anything, which it doesn't, I'd say that the only other person I can envision taking the reigns is Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men). This news also opens Del Toro's future template. I'd like to see him bust out that third Hellboy film he's promised us, but the guy's been in a slump for two years. He can do whatever he likes. For his full statement, go to The One Ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment