Wednesday, May 26, 2010

3 to See in June

3. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
I'm going to make this pretty clear right now. I'm not looking forward to, or suggesting that people see this movie. I'm going to see it either way, because I respect the Twilight saga in the fact that it has been untentionally kept me laughing throughout at how brainless it is. The only regret I'll have about seeing it is that I won't have anybody to ridicule it with. Men are being promised that this film will be different, and offer visceral vampire scares. I doubt it will. In fact, I can't find a good reason to see this movie. So why is it on my three to see? Because I can't really think of anything else that will fill the third spot. Truth is, there isn't much quality to go around this year.

2. Splice
I have a special connection to science fiction films made on small budgets that prove interesting and innovative (District 9). This looks like a similar escapade, and an enjoyable horror film. Who hasn't thought about what it would look like if you mixed a tiger and a koala? Or some other cooky combination? Either way, this film could work as a homage to classic horror films like Frankenstein and Rosemary's Baby, as well as add some humanity to what could easily be a disaster. Early reviews are positive for the scifi thriller, so we'll just have to see.

1. Toy Story 3
Going from grisly horror film, to beloved childrens franchise, this couldn't possibly not be most anticipated of this month. Get past the fact that it's Pixar, and they've never made a bad film ever, and they never will. They've made disappointing films (Cars), but never a bad one. Toy Story 3 will be successful because it's the series that started the Pixar phenomenon. We've had to amazing films that were emotionally touching, and never once felt repetitive. It looks like we'll have a similar experience again. It's a new story, and the last of the anthology. After this is over, we'll have tears running down our cheeks not only because of the touching story, but because it's the end. Once that sinks in, I think things will really get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment