Monday, May 31, 2010

Summer 2011: Why it will be better than Summer 2010

So if you hadn't noticed, this weekend's box office results have been some of the lowest box office results for a Memorial Day weekend. As a whole this summer has been pretty lackluster. I'd have really lost hope in the film industry if I didn't know what films are scheduled for next summer. By this time next year, we'll already have seen Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Hangover 2, and Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom. That is what a May line up of films should look like.

Going into June we have X-Men: First Class (Directed by Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass)), Fast Five (yes, that means the Fast and the Furious 5 for those who don't quite understand), Green Lantern, and Cars 2. I'd be happier about Cars 2 if there were actually something to be happy about. I love Pixar, but in all honesty, Cars didn't meet their standard. The month looks like it might be open for one more hit, so I'm going to say that if Super 8 can't find a place in May, it's certainly a good fit for June.

Then in July, Transformers 3 (without Megan Fox), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Captain America, and Cowboys vs. Aliens. Overall that's a much stronger month than this year, where the only real movie worth seeing is Inception. I'm sorry I keep bringing it up, but until I have credible reason to believe the film won't be good, I'll continue promoting the film. Then to close the summer we have The Smurfs (starring Neil Patrick Harris), War Horse (Directed by Stephen Spielberg), and Spy Kids 4. Alright, it's still August, so don't be disappointed. The month is already disappointing.

I know it's strange to look so far off into the future, but it honestly looks so much more awesome than the present. Below is my rankings of my top 5 most anticipated films of next summer. Feel free to weigh in on your own opinions.

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
4. Super 8
3. Transformers 3
2. The Hangover 2
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment