Sunday, May 23, 2010

Celluloid's Cannes Coverage: Award Winners Announced

Here I officially end my coverage of Cannes film festival with the winners of the awards, and I must say I'm confused. I've spent so much time focusing on the much buzzed about films, I didn't take a look at the films absolutely nobody was talking about. Was I focusing too much on the wrong films, because most of the winners are people and films I've never heard of before, and will likely never hear of again. Lets face facts that most of these won't go on to Oscar fame, and if they do then I'll be surprised. How enraged are you that Mike Leigh's Another Year isn't on this list? I'm enraged just because I heard a lot of buzz about it. Anyway, here's the list of winners:

Palme d’Or: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Grand Prix: Of Gods and Men
Best Actor: (tie) Javier Bardem, Biutiful and Elio Germano, La Nostra Vita
Best Actress: Juliette Binoche, Certified Copy
Best Screenplay: Lee Chang-dong,
Poetry
Best Director: Mathieu Amalric, On Tour
Jury Prize: A Screaming Man
Camera d’Or: Año Bisiesto, Michael Rowe
Best Short Film: Chienne d’Histoire

Alright, I must admit, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives is a kind of intriguing name. I want to find out more about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment