Saturday, May 15, 2010

Who would dare open against Harry Potter 7?

This Asshole
This seemed like the news that merited its own post, because it's so unbelievably stupid, but also the most dastardly perfect idea. Disney has decided to open their animated reboot of the Winnie the Pooh series against the finale of the most lucrative franchise in movie history: Harry Potter. I'm dreading this news, because this could spell doom for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. I know I may be over-reacting, but this just seems like the most perfect marketing decision in history.

We know the Potter films have been getting progressively darker, and the final installment will likely be the darkest. So where will parents take their younger kids while the older ones are at Potter? Winnie the Pooh, not only because it's a kids film, but because it's such a loveable series. If I were a 10 year old kid, I'd choose Pooh over Potter, and I realize how sinful a statement that is. Adding to the anticipation of this project, Hans Zimmer is doing the score for Pooh, so that's going to be an obvious draw. I think it will be a classy film, but it's dangerous whenever you open against such a film as Potter. It's going to get thrashed, and that makes it much more dreadful.

No comments:

Post a Comment