Friday, May 21, 2010

Weekend Update: 4th Week of May

The summer movie season continues to boom this weekend with the release of Shrek Forever After, but enough about that. Even though I have no intention of seeing the film, I still foresee it bringing in a great amount of coinage in the box-office this weekend. It's a Dreamworks family film, and they recently showed us that sometimes they actually do something right (How to Train Your Dragon). I know the film will probably land in the range of $100 million this weekend, but I still feel like it'll only grind out around $75-80 million. If there is a god, it will be so.

So if you have half a brain, and you rightfully decide to skip Shrek, I suggest going out to see MacGruber. If we can get past the fact that it's based on a 2 minute SNL skit, I think we can all get into it, and enjoy it for what it is. Not a smart movie, but a damn funny one. I'm getting an idea of what it'll be like before I see it, which probably isn't the best idea, but I don't care. I don't expect the film to be hugely successful, because it just doesn't have the same following as Shrek, or Iron Man, or... Twilight. I know. The world isn't just. Still I see the film getting around $15 million this weekend, hopefully.

Then we have the holdovers from past weeks. Expect Robin Hood to take a 50% dive this week, landing around $15 million. As for Iron Man 2, I can see it dropping to around $25 million. It now seems somewhat unlikely that it will reach the coveted 400 million mark it was hoping to get to. And as for Babies, expect it to get somewhere in the area of 100,000 this weekend. Other than that, I can't think of anything else in the market worth seeing this weekend. Wait until next weekend when... Wait until the week after next weekend when... You know what? Just skip the theatres until Toy Story 3 comes out. It's probably for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment