Friday, July 16, 2010

Inception: My First Thoughts


Before I get started, let me say that this is not a review. There really is too much data in the film for me to fully process it after the first viewing. I'd first like to say congratulations to Christopher Nolan for creating such a complex, deep, emotional, powerful film that had the audience involved from the first few seconds. Christopher Nolan said, during his promotion of the film, that it was his ambition to include all the different types of human experience, and he has done that not only at minimum, but at maximum. Nothing like Inception has ever been attempted in filmmaking, and I don't believe it ever will be again. As Roger Ebert said so eloquently in his own review, "when Nolan left the labyrinth, he threw away the map."

I know that I love this movie, and that it's the best time I've had at an action movie since The Dark Knight. In so many ways, it is far better than The Dark Knight. I can spend several paragraphs throwing around words like masterpiece and Oscar, but part of me wants you to go out and see it for yourself first. I've seen how people have reacted to reviews for this film. The fans are ravenous, and they will tear a review apart if they don't agree with it, even if they haven't seen the film yet. Even if the review says that they liked the film, but didn't love it, readers will rip it to pieces. So go out to the theatres, see Inception for yourself, and then in a day or two we'll meet back here and talk about the film as equals. It's a lot to ask of a reader, but it's no more than Inception asks of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment