Friday, January 14, 2011

The Weekend Report: Stunted Growth And Prior Reservations

Last week got us off to a rather halted start, not exactly bringing the heat in on the new year, and the box office is still moving at an atrocious pace. I know it will pick up later on, but there really isn't enough reason to head out to the movies so far this year. Lets run down the list of this week's releases. Barney's Version is the only one that I would rush out to see, and it's not even playing in wide release so that's not an option for most of us. The Dilemma is getting a wide release, because of the hit-and-miss director Ron Howard and the idiotic-yet-famous duo of Kevin James and Vince Vaughn. I will not be pushing myself to see that one, nor should anyone else.

The only film that I will probably head out to the theaters to see this weekend is The Green Hornet, and the reasons are pretty obvious. It looks like it'll have some nice comedy from Seth Rogen, some visually stylish action scenes, and Christoph Waltz doing Christoph Waltz. It's not going to come anywhere close to where Waltz's last film came, but it should be mildly entertaining, even if there's not much meat on its bones. I wager a 50% chance that I'll actually see it this weekend. It's in the offing because tonight offers the Critics Choice Awards, and they are always worth watching, and Sunday I'll be heading back to school and checking out the Golden Globe awards. Black Swan is also getting a full expansion, so I suspect that will be where most attention turns to. The new releases offer little excitement thus far. We're starting a bit of a rating system for new releases and our suggestion for how you should treat them. Please comment on your own thoughts. I've had little feedback in the past few weeks and it's excruciating!

Green = See It
Red = Skip It
Blue = Either Way


The Green Hornet
The Dilemma
Barney's Version

No comments:

Post a Comment