Friday, January 21, 2011

The Weekend Report: Sex and the Himalayas

It feels like this weekend should be the real start of the new year, with a somewhat relevant romantic-comedy and a newly released drama from a well respected filmmaker. It's crazy to believe that this weekend will best its predecessor, so it's better not to try. Instead, this weekend should simply provide some worthwhile entertainment, after several weeks of receiving anything but that. Oddly enough, the film that I'm most required to see, and oddly enough most anticipating, is No Strings Attached from director Ivan Reitman. I went soft on the "Dread Locks" list for January, and this is the outcome. From here on out, I will only pick films with a guarantee of being absolute garbage.

Natalie Portman has five new films releasing this year, although I doubt any of them will come anywhere near to the level of celebrity that Black Swan garnered her. If anything, 2011 is her victory lap. She's about to win her first Academy Award, has met the love of her life, and is now pregnant with child. She has pretty much earned the right to give us whatever she wants this year, and to act like a bit of a dork. If you don't see No Strings Attached, I can't say you'll be missing a life-changing opportunity, but it should be tolerable at the very least.

Peter Weir's The Way Back is the other major release of the weekend, and it obviously won't be getting the same attention as the more commercial enterprises of this weekend. If anything, I expect probably a $10 million opening weekend tally, and little more. It's definitely worth seeing more than the romantic-comedy, but somehow I don't think I'll get around to it just yet. It's not just that it's not playing in my area. I just don't feel like seeing it at the time. However, if you're looking for something to do tonight, I must suggest that you stay home and watch Fringe at 9 p.m. on FOX. It's definitely the most worthy choice in my opinion.



No Strings Attached
The Way Back

No comments:

Post a Comment