Monday, January 3, 2011

Pete Postlethwaite (1946-2011)

We've reached the first surprise exit of 2011 a lot sooner than anticipated. Pete Postlethwaite was a unique actor with a unique look, and you'd know him when you see him. To say that I came just in time to be emotionally affected by his death would be an eloquent way of putting it. As a matter of fact, a good six months ago, I hadn't a clue who the guy was. The first film I saw with the man in it was Inception, in which he played the short, but pivotal cameo as Robert Fischer's estranged father, Maurice. He didn't have that much to work off of, but I was definitely interested in knowing more about him, and more than a little curious as to the exact way to properly say his name.

I didn't look into the man as I'd hoped, but my intrigue would be rekindled a few months later when he appeared as an insidious villain in the Ben Affleck crime thriller, The Town. It may have been a little cartoonish, but the scenes he appeared were amongst the best standalone scenes in the film. The last film I saw him in, and I regret not seeing more than just three of his films before his death, was The Usual Suspects, but even though he did a great job, I still have a bit of a problem understanding parts of that film. I'm sure I'll catch up sometime soon. He also appeared in The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Amistad, and William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet.

No comments:

Post a Comment