Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Carpet-Bagging: Murphy Out! Muppets In?

"First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each party's decision with regard to a change of producers for this year's Academy Awards ceremony. I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I'm sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job."

So said Eddie Murphy as he followed Brett Ratner out the door of the 84th Annual Academy Awards telecast. I could tell yesterday that this was probably going to end up happening, and it would've been a mistake if it had not. Yes, this has been a P.R. nightmare for the Academy, and a blow to the show beyond what most of us really expected. But can we really say that a Brett Ratner produced show would've been the best way to go? I was against it from the start, but I had a sense of optimism about the positive rumblings of "Tower Heist". People liked it, and say it was funny, so that was a glimmer of hope for this telecast. And then it came crashing down soon after.

And I've admittedly come around somewhat to Eddie Murphy. The man is truly funny, and I imagine he would've brought the right sort of hosting energy to the show. But this news means not only is he unlikely to ever host the show, but he's liable to pretty much fade from relevance entirely, which is sad. The man isn't horrible, but he's had horrible luck all the same. So this changes a lot of things, for example, who the hell is gonna produce and who will host? I'm immediately hearing great names across the board, from Tina Fey, to Kevin Spacey, to Albert Brooks. And then I came around to this beloved little tidbit.

THE MUPPETS! Of course! That is the most perfect suggestion and decision that could possibly be made to really turn all of this around. The show hasn't gotten this much buzz, negative though it may be, going in a long time. Bringing on Jim Henson's beloved comedy gang is the best way to turn it all bright and fuzzy. You can't tell me a smile doesn't come to year face thinking about it. The only possible snag? The new co-producer has been announced as Brian Grazer, so who's he likely to choose? I don't know, but I maintain that the fuzzy pack is the best way to go. I have some sad doubts, but can something beautiful happen for once in our lifetime? PLEASE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment