Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Weekend Report: Life's a Happy Song

This weekend brings us quite a few endearing films in both the mainstream and independent circuits. It's much more bountiful harvest than we're accustomed to on any given weekend. The most blinding flaw is that there's so much that's gearing towards families that they're bound to cancel each other at the box office. Still, I'm certain the undeniable draw is "The Muppets", as it has been for the past several weeks. I'm tempted to say that families will go out in droves for the film, but I imagine so many people who see it will be people who grew up with the Muppets. It's the nostalgia of passing on the beloved characters to newer generations that should make this thrive over the weeks to come.

The other two are less decidedly successful, and one of which I can't even place much confidence in. "Arthur Christmas" looks simple, which isn't exactly a mark against it. Apparently critics are quite taken with Aardman's new CG feature, but I can easily say that it offers something just a little bit more than "Happy Feet Two" does. Films like this are often more than is let on in the trailers. And then there's "Hugo", which I'm even more tempted to see, despite some belittling factors in it. I don't think this is Martin Scorsese at his greatest, nor do I expect to change that feeling when I see it. But I've still heard some wonderful things about it, so it's worth a shot, right?

And then there's the indie releases that should be working their veins into the general cinesphere over the year's conclusion. Top of the market is definitely "The Artist", which I'm still straining to find a reason not to see. It still looks pretty delightful, and I'm not entirely certain why so many people are turning against it. It doesn't seem to me like another event of "The King's Speech". "A Dangerous Method", on the other hand, does quite. I've already lamented mildly about it, but not harsh enough in retrospect. "My Week with Marilyn", similarly, doesn't look up to the standards of the talent involved. Such a shock when the wide releases are on firmer ground that the indies.

No comments:

Post a Comment