Friday, May 13, 2011

The Weekend Report: An Unreasonable Alternative

if you're not over in Cannes, cheery expectations aren't the most advisable. Last weekend was a step in the right direction, given the depressing circumstances in both the box office and the general material of films this year. The last thing we needed was further cynicism, and Thor was gleefully able to bring us out of that. This weekend takes a substantial drop, and Thor looks to nail the top spot again this weekend. It's not exactly that there's nothing worth seeing, but there aren't any massive blockbuster ventures releasing. The closest thing we have to that is Priest, and I hope it doesn't do as well as some think it will.

If you're going to head out to see something new of value this weekend, the best suggestion I can give you is Bridesmaids. Something about the raunchy female comedy rubbed me the wrong way in the marketing of the film, but it does look genuinely hilarious and somewhat heartfelt. Kristen Wiig is one of the best comedic actresses in the business, and to see her taking the lead on a film like this brings nothing but joy to me. If I head out to the theaters this weekend, it will be to see her film. On the other hand, I also have a reluctant obligation to see Priest so I'd best just get that out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment