Friday, May 6, 2011

The Weekend Report: Rise from Repetition

As much as these weekly columns are meant as a refresher to the "For Your Anticipation" pieces I dole out during the week, as well as to comment on the state of the box office, I do try to impart some sort of reason across each week. More often than not, I fail. As a matter of fact, this entire year has fallen into general tedium, often only giving us clips, trailers, and reviews to talk about. There has to be a greater reason to this than just talking about what looks cool. I remember last July, just after Inception came out, and most sites devoted several posts to talking about the film, regardless of whether they liked it or not. I'm sure we'll enter into similar debates later on when the Cannes Film Festival titles start to unveil themselves, but there has to be more to talk about.

This week, regrettably, is not the week for that. I don't even refer to Jumping the Broom and Something Borrowed as separate films anymore, because they've pretty much fallen into the same disgusting heap of predictability. I don't imagine these films drawing much audience, especially with the blockbuster arrival of Thor. I clearly approve of it as a fantastic adventure flick with some great performances, but I can't help but feel apprehension in the market towards it. There is too much cynicism going around for people not to scoff at the idea of this film, but they still pull it off. I don't expect a debut as massive as Fast Five, but it should still remain solid around $65-75 million. Whatever you see this weekend, be it a new release or an under-appreciated one, chime in in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment