Fast Five ended up posting a new record for the franchise and for the month of May.
With a tally that high, all other films this weekend seem very much irrelevant, but there were some other achievements worth talking about. Rio took a controlled fall of 45.3%, which is understandable considering the competition. Water for Elephants fell a similar amount and landed up in fourth place. Between the two was Madea's Big Happy Family, which fell an estimated 60% from last week's moderate debut. The biggest drop came from Hop, which hit it big on Easter weekend, only to fall again this weekend by 79%. The film is currently standing at $105.3 million, and isn't looking to go much higher than that. Overall, it should come as no surprise that this weekend demolished the same weekend last year, which played host to the $32.9 million debut of the Nightmare on Elm Street remake.
1. Fast Five (First Weekend; $83.6 million)
2. Rio (Third Weekend; $14.4 million)
3. Madea's Big Happy Family (Second Weekend; $10.1 million)
4. Water For Elephants (Second Weekend; $9.1 million)
5. Prom (First Weekend; $5 million)
6. Hoodwinked Too (First Weekend; $4.1 million)
7. Soul Surfer (Fourth Weekend; $3.3 million)
8. Insidious (Fifth Weekend; $2.7 million)
9. Hop (Fifth Weekend; $2.6 million)10. Source Code (Fifth Weekend; $2.5 million)