Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Trailer Tuesday: Robin Hood, Tron Legacy, and More

This weeks trailers are hard enough to sit through once, let alone analyze them to see if they have any actual quality, but I'll do my best. First of all is the trailer for Shrek Forever After the fourth and final installment in the shrek franchise. The best thing about this trailer is that little reminder that after this film, we won't have to deal with this series anymore. One would hope that they would go out big with something amazing. No such luck to be found here. The plot is basically taken from It's a Wonderful Life and most of the jokes are either overused, or simply not funny. This franchise has gone from semi-witty humor to derivative cliched shit, and I advise anybody considering seeing this film, to just not do it. Here's the trailer is you have interest in wasting 2 and 1/2 minutes of your life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7__TG7swg0

Then there came the trailer for the long awaited Tron Legacy, and I understand why there is a lot of hype going into this. The first film certainly gathered a following and they've been waiting for decades to continue the series. Now they have their chance and people for some reason are expecting the second coming. This trailer offers us a brief look at the not great, but not bad visual effects in the movie. Bad visual effects don't necessarily ruin a movie for me, and at times they can work to better the general effect of the film (Drag Me to Hell), but they succeeded in making the effects better from the first film, and that's good I suppose.

But without a great story to back the film up it's meaningless (Avatar). So how is the story for the film? It's really too early to tell, but I'm getting the feeling that I've seen this film before. Son meets his long lost father? That was already old when they used it in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And I can't tell who the bad guys are or what they want, and we only get one light cycle sequence, but the film doesn't come out until december so how much can we honestly expect to see of the film this far away from it. My stand on the film hasn't changed since before I saw the trailer. We'll have to wait to see how it turns out. Here's the link for the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9szn1QQfas

Next is the new trailer for Ridley Scott's remake of Robin Hood. Now people have been thinking that this film has Oscar potential based on the main actor, and the director. I don't believe it to be a very likely possibility. The May release date, used dialogue, and familiar story are bound to prevent the film from attaining much of a critical following. With that said, I really like this trailer. Summer is a great time for big action films, and this really looks like that sort of thing. Sure, most its audience may be occupied with Iron Man 2, but if they continue to market the film this way I think it'll get people in the theatre. This feels very much like Gladiator, and that's probably a good thing seeing as they're both made by the same people. Here's the trailer for the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcDeNo6KUs
I
Now we get back to the rotten side of this weeks bunch of movies with the new trailer for Twilight: Eclipse. The Twilight saga has never once been good, and that's not likely to change any time soon. The trailers for New Moon did a decent job of disguising the more awful parts of it, and for a moment I thought that I might be in for a good film. I came down from that really quickly. This trailer doesn't even try. The dialogue is greatly stupid, and for people who haven't heard of the franchise before they will be completely lost. So unless you're interested in seeing another two hours of Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner without shirts on, and Kristen Stewart with a shirt on this probably isn't the film for you. If you want to see Kristen Stewart without a shirt on, see Adventureland. I'll be seeing it, just because I want to know if they managed to make a film funnier than New Moon. I won't post the trailer, because I'm a good person and I don't believe in causing pain to another human being.
I
So does all the recent news on Chris Nolan's new film Inception mean we're actually going to get a new trailer any time soon? I hope so. We'll have to see over the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment