Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscar Predictions: Director and Foreign Language Film

The nominees for this years best director race are especially important because they represent what the best picture race would look like if they only had five nominations. Jason Reitman showed such a connection with the material for Up in the Air that at one point it didn't seem to strange to think that he could take the honor. Quentin Tarantino delivered one of his funniest and most climactic films to date (Inglourious Basterds) with the balance between film lover and film master that only he can maintain. I have no love for Avatar, and I'm a little worried that James Cameron may be all spent on creativity.

Having just seen Precious I may be in too much a state of heightened love for the film to make a logical opinion of Lee Daniels' chances. However, I think I can come down from that to say that Kathryn Bigelow should take this award for her work on The Hurt Locker. It's interested to see her display how much knowledge she has of how to create an intense, gritty action sequence that goes for a realistic approach rather than a frenetic execution like that of the action from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Any other outcome tonight and I will publicly defame the Academy as sexist.

I can't say too much about the Foreign Film category because I haven't seen any of them, but from what I know it's a battle between The White Ribbon and Un Prophete. I personally think Un Prophete has a better chance tonight, but I won't be surprised if The White Ribbon comes out the victor. Expect my analysis of the Best Picture nominees by 2 this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment