Sunday, March 7, 2010

Best Picture: Ranking the Ten

10. The Blind Side- I was pretty shocked the morning of nominations when I saw this film on the list. It's not outstandingly great, nor is it the type of film that challenges people in the way that Precious or The Hurt Locker did. This film is only nominated because of Sandra Bullocks hype for Best Actress, and the impressive box office haul. It would give me a heart attack if it took this award. Fortunately it has no chance, so we don't have to worry about it.
9. Avatar- I'm going to get shouts of hate over this if I don't explain my decision so here it goes: Avatar isn't a great movie. It's fun at some points, and pretty to look at, but the script is cliched and derivetive. You've seen this film before only it was better written. Yes, the visual effects are stunning, but District 9 made more realistic looking aliens on a $35 million budget. Does it have a considerable chance at winning the prize? Unfortunately yes, but I doubt that the academy will really rank this as their favorite film. I guess we'll see.
8. A Serious Man- The Coen Brothers have had great success in the past, but this just isn't their year. Being nominated is enough of a reward. That's what you'll hear me saying for quite a few of the nominees. Ten nominations is too much for any category because many of the films obviously don't have a chance. In the years to come the brothers may look back on this film and love it because of their own personal attachment to it, but not because of the awards they won from it. Perhaps they'll have better luck next year with their remake of the John Wayne film True Grit. I guess we'll see. 7. Up- It's nice to see Pixar being rewarded for its many great films with a nomination for Best Picture. Up represents the best things about the company's films. It's emotional, realistic, funny, and (literally this time) miles above all the rest. Saddly, it has its own category to win. Pixar films have the privelege of having a special place reserved for them in the living room. As long as Fantastic Mr. Fox doesn't pull an upset, Up won't walk away empty handed, and that's more than one could say for some of the other films nominated for Best Picture. I guess we'll see.
6. District 9- This is the film that Avatar aspired to be but wasn't. First time director Neill Blomkamp took the alien invasion concept and completely flipped it. The aliens are at our mercy, and discriminated against in a kind of twist on apartheid. Sharlto Copley's performance as Wikus Van Der Merwe ranges from darkly comic to powerfully emotional. It's still very much on the outskirts of the race and doesn't really have a chance, but it deserves the honorable mention. The film may not have gotten the same attention Avatar did, but it certainly has a better chance at wooing the academy voters. I guess we'll see.
5. An Education- This british drama may have had a chance at one point, but not winning the BAFTA award for best picture doesn't look too good for it. It doesn't look to have too much of a chance in its other categories either. Carey Mulligan might win Best Actress, and I still back her up, but the odds are slightly against it. It's almost one of the top contenders but it just didn't make the cut. Sad to say it'll probably go home empty handed. I guess we'll see.
4. Inglourious Basterds- I've made my point clear on this film by now. It has quite a bit of potential and it may indeed walk off with a few awards tonight. The best picture race however is the pivotal category, and in order to win it would have to be better than all, or most of the other films this year and it just isn't. It's still a gut-wrenchingly intense film, and one of Quentin Tarantinos few real masterpieces, so it may still win. I guess we'll see.3. Up in the Air- This film hit the height of its hype early on. In late October after it debuted in Toronto critics were all talking about its chances and how it was the film to beat at this year's competition. Then time passed, and so did the buzz. The film just stopped winning guild and critics awards. Somewhere along the line it just vanished. The film didn't display the legs that The Hurt Locker did to make it all the way through the awards circuit. Jason Reitman will just have to wait for something else to come along and maybe then he'll get his trophy. I guess we'll see.2. Precious: Based on the novel "Push" by Sapphire- Today I have belonged completely to this film. While talking about all of the films nominated, and even while watching a few of them, I haven't been able to get this film out of my head. It's really something amazing, and I can't stop thinking about the characters and wishing that Sapphire had made a series of books about these characters. For me this feels like the film with the greatest chance at upsetting the current favorite in the category. I wouldn't be sad at all if it came to pass that this film took it all. I guess we'll see.1. The Hurt Locker- Nearly every other person has said this, so it just seems foolish not to say it myself. The Hurt Locker had the best chance of winning it all eight months ago, and it still does. Despite the odds this little film faced, it has kept its loyal voters over that long period to come to this night. There are people who think that Avatar might walk away with the award, but I just can't think of anybody who would list that film as their favorite. The Hurt Locker was powerful enough to remind people I know who served in wars in the past of some of the bad memories. That is how realistic the film is, and at this point in our history I think that's what Academy voters are going to go with. I guess we'll see.
l
I'd like to know what you think will win, so please post comments for once in your sad pathetic life!!!! Insulting my readers is a good idea. I should do it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment