Sunday, January 10, 2010

News Update: Avatar Conquers (again), Zombieland Writers Sign on for a sequel (again), and Cameron's Epic Disaster Movie (again)

Well my Holiday Hiatus is officially over, and I will be immediately posting daily updates on the relevant events. So now that everybody has already heard most of this news I'm actually going to announce it.

Avatar is the Second Highest Grossing Film of All Time
Avatar has surpassed box-office expectations in a matter of just 3 weeks. Having so far grossed 1.2 billion dollars worldwide, it only makes sense that they'll make more money. I estimate that the Epic Fantasy should take in at least another 100 million domestically, and at least another 200 million internationally, culminating in a final gross from 1.5-1.6 billion. Having seen the film a second time I can finally take a side, and my review for the film will be up by the end of the day.

Zombieland writers sign on to G.I. Joe 2
After signing on to write a sequel to Zombieland, a Venom spin-off, and a Deadpool spin-off, Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese have signed on to pen the sequel to the summer disappointment G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Personally I have very little faith in Stephen Sommers' ability to make a good, or even entertaining movie, and when I think about Zombieland, the weakest thing I can remember is the screenplay. They were able to pull it off because of grade A direction, and an A+ cast. Given the fact that the first movie was the single most painful experience of my life, I don't really think that G.I. Joe 2 has a chance in hell of being good. But if the trailer really impresses me, I might go out there to see it and subject myself to even more potential misery.

James Cameron might make a film about Hiroshima
Twice now has James Cameron taken a potentially awful script and turned it into an absolute masterpiece. Now that James Cameron is considering adapting a film based on the recollections of the survivors of the bombing of Hiroshima, he may actually have something amazing on his hands. After seeing Avatar I am convinced that James Cameron is one of the best directors out there, and an event like Hiroshima has so much emotional potential, that should it come to fruition, there will be tears streaming down the aisle of the movie theatres.

Sam Mendes might direct next James Bond Film
Perhaps the biggest news of the week is the announcement that Sam Mendes, who directed films such as American Beauty, Jarhead, and Revolutionary Road, is directing (or consulting on) the next James Bond movie. The rebooted series may now have its genuine masterpiece, given the fact that it's written by Peter Morgan. I personally believe that after giving us The Queen, Frost/Nixon, and The Last King of Scotland, Peter Morgan can do no wrong, except maybe The Other Boleyn Girl. So now that such a great director as Mendes is working on the same James Bond film we definitely have a film that will be good, if not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment