Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fringe: Johari Window Review

So of all the shows on tv, my absolute favorite is Fringe. Nothing crushed me more than seeing its ratings go down against such huge shows as Greys Anatomy, and The Office, and even though I love The Office, I am a loyal follower of Fringe, and I'm going to help it out in any way I can, including putting it on my site. So this weeks episode of Fringe was more of a stand alone episode than the last episode Grey Matters, but it still achieved quite a wide range of emotions that left me a little fatigued, but still interested throughout.

The plot of the episode took place in the small town of Edina, where there have been sightings of deformed human beings for several years, but now there seems to be concrete evidence that they exist, and will do anything to keep their existence a secret. While at first it seemed like a case of man-turns-into-beast, it turned out to be something that was both more and less horrific at the same time. I was so delighted to find that it called back to Walter's shady past before being checked into the asylum. We dealt with the ramifications of his early work at the beginning of the series but we haven't really seen much of that this season.

Another one of the great things about the series is that it doesn't rely completely on the independent episode format. Each episode intigrates quite fluently into the mythology, with the characters still recovering from the events of previous episodes, and silent nods to Walter's dark secret which has only ever been fully revealed in last season's finale. In fact I keep wondering what the season two episodes would feel like if they never revealed that crucial information. There'd probably be so much more mystery and intrigue to it all.

As far as smaller episodes that don't deal too much with the mythology go, this one was pretty great. All of the small moments hit just the right chord, and every action filled second is felt in full blast. Unfortately the title has nothing to do with the rest of the episode so ultimately my grade for this episode is 7.6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment