Sunday, January 3, 2010

(500) Days of Summer Review

I'd just like to let people know in advance that I'm not going to post a review of Avatar until I've seen it a second time. There are some films that you have to revisit in order to make a full opinion of. (500) Days of Summer is not one of those films. The moment the film ended, I knew that I loved it. In fact I'd go as far as saying that the film had me after the opening credits. I often don't understand why all these great films are released independently. It seems to me that a story like this would have quite a few major studios grabbing for it.

The film tells the story of Tom Hansen and Summer Finn. Tom was just an average guy, who lost his opportunity to be an architect, and is now writing cards for a New Hampshire greeting card association. Summer is an amazingly hot girl, who lands a job at the same greeting card company that Tom works at. Tom, who believes in true love, thinks it is love at first site. Summer however does not believe in love at all, but is still somewhat attracted to Tom.

The opening verifies that this is not a love story, but rather a tale of one man finding himself, through a series of miserable situations. It isn't often that a film takes you on the same emotional journey as the main character, but (500) Days of Summer pulls it off. There isn't a moment in which you think Tom is totally out of line. He's a lovable attractive guy with such a nice personality that you've got to fall in love with.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt cements his acting career in this film, and Zooey Deschanel owns her roles as usual. First time director Marc Webb does a great job of balancing each of the elements of this film, especially the comedy. There is a scene that is just too hillarious to spoil in any way, and when it comes you'll just know it. You won't be able to keep from laughing until he comes out of the elevator. My grade for this film 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment