Saturday, August 20, 2011

Television Review: "New Girl" (**1/2)

One of the few shows I have a chance of previewing before it debuts later this September, I don't think you can imagine much for "New Girl" beyond the typical cliche sitcom pilot. I'd lump it right along as an equivalent to the ill-fated "Traffic Light" from last year, but a slight notch above from the canceled comedy. The premise is simple, with Zooey Deschanel's lead character of Jess being dumped by her narrowly conceived boyfriend, deciding against living with her supermodel best friend due to simple failure in comparison, and snagging an apartment with three guys. It has just enough to barely justify an existence.

The main difference here is that it's occasionally sweetly funny. Yes, the girls are painted somewhat pathetically as what guys think girls are. Yes, the guys are painted as your average douchebags, machos, and pathetic broken types. Still, it's really funny at times. From a recurring theme song delivered dorkily by Zooey Deschanel, to a certain jar-related recurring joke. That's pretty much the two main points, but I'll put my delight in it as a guilty pleasure. It's better than "Raising Hope", so I suppose that's something. I'd call this a sort of recommendation for when it eventually airs.

But then I get to thinking about the fact that this is a series, and it has to pay off in the long term. While there is plenty of room for improvement in subsequent weeks, can I imagine staying on this type of show for a year? No. Maybe two more episodes, but then I lose interest. The next two episodes will have to change things up enough to justify its life in the long term. Zooey Deschanel being dorky and ditsy each week isn't enough, as impossible as that notion may seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment