Tuesday, August 16, 2011

McQueen takes on "12 Years a Slave"

 I don't remember the last time I wrote about simple news such as this. Then again, I don't remember the last time news truly warranted my attention enough for me to write about it. I guess I'm just in too much of a rut to pass up an opportunity. In any case, Steve McQueen is currently in a tight position to prove himself, which some could say he already has with "Hunger". I admit that hardly a day goes by that I don't think about the thoughts and emotions that his debut feature stirred up, but that was a debut feature. McQueen is in need of another success to make this news remain news.

McQueen has just been attached to direct "12 Years a Slave", based on the autobiography written by Solomon Northrup. The film would follows the kidnap and slavery of Northrup, despite being born a free man. Depending on what McQueen's next film, "Shame", turns out like, this might be a fantastic third project for the up-and-comer. We won't know for sure until Venice, but I'm still on the side of caution. I trust McQueen not to fail, but I also know that I can't place trust in somebody I've only met once. I'll still probably have "12 Years a Slave" high on my must list for whenever it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment