Friday, February 10, 2012

OSCAR 2011 PREDICTIONS: Art Direction

I'm a proponent of specificity over style, at least in terms of Visual Effects, Art Direction, and such in terms of visual mediums. As such it massively pisses me off when films like "Hugo", "Harry Potter", and "War Horse" make it in because they're "pretty". I use pretty in quotations, because in most cases, it's a hollow beauty. I'm quite simply irritated by the fact that the unprecedented-this-year work behind "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" was ignored, but... forgive? No. Just adapt. Of the films here, the only ones I can say are rather good in terms of set design and such are "The Artist" and "Midnight in Paris". However, the latter didn't absolutely rock my socks off, so here's hoping that "Artist" goes for a sweep. It'll probably go to "Hugo", just because that's the obvious choice.

WILL WIN: "Hugo"
COULD/SHOULD WIN: "The Artist"
SHOULD REALLY WIN: "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy"

PERSONAL RANKINGS:
1. "The Artist"
2. "Midnight in Paris"
3. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2"
4. "Hugo"
5. "War Horse"

No comments:

Post a Comment