Thursday, June 14, 2012

Weekend Forecast: Cruise Musical vs. Sandler-Samberg

It's a very odd feeling I have concerning this weekend, especially in comparison to last. Consider the general head-space regarding last weekend. "Prometheus", a film with through the roof anticipation, and "Madagascar 3", a film from a company who is known for entertaining at a hyperactive level, were both being released. Both of those films debuted over $50 million, and yet they both proved disappointing to me personally. Mind you, I'm never surprised when a bad film rakes in a surplus of cash, but I didn't truly believe these films would turn out so ill-forged. That said, both films will do very well this weekend, along with the mix of new releases.

What gives it a strange dynamic is that I am suddenly rather excited to see "Rock of Ages". I have no love for the jukebox musical sub-genre, but the cast of this film coupled with some fantastic musical numbers is enough to spark interest for me. It simply looks like more fun than has been in the theaters for a while, likely since "The Avengers" hit multiplex's. On the other side of this weekend, "That's My Boy" will do its share in the box office because it's Father's Day weekend, it's a comedy, and it stars crowd magnates Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg. College age boys will be doing some majorly hedonistic male bonding on this one.

BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS
1. "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" ~ $36 million
2. "Rock of Ages" ~ $32 million
3. "That's My Boy" ~ $26 million
4. "Prometheus" ~ $21.2 million
5. "Snow White and the Huntsman" ~ $12 million

I'LL BE SEEING: "Rock of Ages"

No comments:

Post a Comment