Wednesday, September 21, 2011

TELLURIDE BY THE SEA: My Saturday Lineup

Each year brings me a unique and exciting festival opportunity in the form of Telluride by the Sea, a weekend long recurrence of six of the films that appeared at Telluride Film Festival in Colorado earlier this month. Last year was my first time at the festival, and I saw "The King's Speech" and "Never Let Me Go" there. I wouldn't have called my critiques of the two exactly accurate. I was a bit harsh on the former, and too kind to the latter. No wonder I had such a hard time in equating my thoughts on "The King's Speech". They were ultimately dishonest.

This year I had hoped to experience the full six film experience, but that fell through the moment they announced the films appearing. I just don't have the time or interest to sustain the Sunday viewings of "The Kid with a Bike" or "In Darkness", and "Albert Nobbs" follows last year's "Tamara Drewe" in the tradition of thematically lacking openers. Saturday is going to be the beginning and the end for me this year, with three films I am eager to experience and break down. I was apprehensive to "Le Havre" at first, but it looks quite honestly agreeable, and the most interesting of the lower tier festival fare.

"A Dangerous Method" has had a wide berth of reception, from excited to unimpressed to downright hateful. I had cautious optimism from the start, and still do, but I'm not going to let my optimism dictate me astray as it did last year. Cronenberg, be prepared for a proper bashing when I'm done with you. And then the late night brings me the most exciting film of the weekend, and one I was simply ecstatic to see on the list. I still haven't finished reading the book yet, but I'll have to push forward in time for "We Need to Talk About Kevin"s appearance in Portsmouth this Saturday. Color me excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment